Visiting Laos? This ultimate Laos bucket list gives over 50 unique things to do in Laos.
Laos is an amazing country to visit and has so many exciting and interesting things to do. I’ve compiled this bucket list of the ultimate things to do in Laos that you can tick off as you go.
Contents: Laos Bucket List – Things To Do In Laos
This ultimate Laos bucket list is divided into the areas below:
- Luang Prabang & Nong Khiaw
- Vang Vieng
- Northern Laos (along the border with China, Myanmar & Vietnam)
- Southern Laos e.g. Pakse & 4,000 Islands
- General – things you can do anywhere in Laos
What Are The Best Things To Do In Laos?
Things To Do In Luang Prabang & Nong Khiaw (+ surrounding areas)
- Take a slow boat down the Mekong River.
- Hire a bike and explore the town of Luang Prabang. This entire town is actually a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Swim in Kuang Si Waterfall – this cascading emerald waterfall is one of the most beautiful places in Laos.
- Visit Luang Prabang’s night market on Sisavangvong Road and get yourself a souvenir.
- Hike to the Sleeping Woman Viewpoint in Nong Khiaw. You’ll get fantastic views of the scenery below.
- Visit Laos’s most impressive Buddhist temple, Wat Xieng Thong, in Luang Prabang.
- Indulge in some Lao cuisine on Buffet Street in Luang Prabang – you simply pay for a bowl and pick what you want!
- Relax by the river side on a cushion at Utopia Bar in Luang Prabang.
- Watch sunset from Mount Phousi. You’ll get 360 degree views over Luang Prabang and the sunset here is just enchanting!
- Go bamboo rafting along the Nam Ou River that flows through the town of Nong Khiaw.
- Explore one of Laos’s oldest temples, Wat Manorom.
- Visit the Elephant Village Sanctuary in Luang Prabang where you can care for and bathe the elephants. All the elephants here are rescued.
- Explore the rice fields of Laos at the Living Land Rice Farm.
- Marvel at the 5-tiered roof of Wat Mai in Luang Prabang.
- Climb Phadeng Peak for beautiful views of the countryside surrounding Nong Khiaw.
- Fly through the jungle and go zip-lining at Jungle Fly in Nong Khiaw.
- Witness the Luang Prabang alms giving ceremony where you’ll see hundreds of barefoot monks walking through the city collecting sticky rice donations.
- Get lost in nature at the Pha Tad Ke Botanical Garden where you’ll see lots of stunning plants and flowers, many native to Laos.
Things To Do In Vang Vieng (+ surrounding areas)
- Take a hot air balloon ride in Vang Vieng.
- Go scuba diving in Laos’s largest lake – Nam Ngum.
- Go on a sunset hike to the Pha Ngeun viewpoint for impressive views of Vang Vieng.
- Take a swim in the Blue Lagoon 1 in Vang Vieng with it’s gorgeous blue waters surrounded by a jungle and heaps of water activities, you can stay for the whole day.
- Check out the incredible Tham Nam underwater cave in Vang Vieng.
- Visit the untouched cavern of Tham Loup. You’ll see some impressive stalactites (icicle-shaped formations that hang from the ceilings of caves).
- Watch sunset from Nam Xay Viewpoint in Vang Vieng. The sunset here is breathtaking.
- Go tubing in Vang Vieng and float along the Nam Song River and stop off at one of the many bars along the river for a drink.
- Explore one of Vang Vieng’s best known caves, Tham Jang. This cave was actually once an army bunker!
- Be adventurous and go rock climbing in Vang Vieng.
- Visit the Tham Phu Kham Cave which is one of the most sacred caves in Laos. You can also take a dip in it’s turquoise lagoon!
Things To Do In Vientiane (+ surrounding areas)
- Visit the Patuxai Victory Monument in Vientiane. This awesome landmark was inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.
- Take a city sightseeing tour around Vientiane and explore the city.
- Admire Wat Ho Phra Keo, a beautiful Buddhist temple in Vientiane dating back to 1565.
- Visit the Buddha Park (also known as Xieng Khuan) near Vientiane to see impressive Buddha sculptures.
- Go on a cycling tour around the capital of Laos, Vientiane.
- Grab yourself a bargain at the Vientiane Morning Market. They have everything from souvenirs to clothing to food.
- Visit the most sacred place in Laos – That Luang in Vientiane.
Things To Do In Northern Laos (along the border with China, Myanmar & Vietnam)
- Go trekking in Muang Sing.
- Stay overnight in the highest treehouse in the world at the Gibbon Experience. You’ll also see lots of gibbons as this experience is located in the middle of a jungle!
Things To Do In Southern Laos – Pakse, 4,000 Islands (+ surrounding areas)
- Chill out on the 4,000 islands in Southern Laos.
- Visit the Somphamit waterfalls of Don Khon.
- See if you can spot an irrawaddy dolphin on Don Khon island!
- Take a long boat through the impressive Kong Lor Cave. You can sail right through it!
- Marvel at the widest (10,783m) waterfall in the world – Khone Phapheng Falls.
- Go kayaking along the Mekong River.
- Stroll along the riverfront promenade of the Mekong River in Pakse.
- Explore Wat Phu a wondrous Khmer temple that was built between the 11th and 13th century.
- Drink a coconut shake on Don Det island.
- Marvel at the incredible Tad Fane Waterfalls. These twin 120m waterfalls are located in the Dong Hua Sao National Park.
- Take a tour around the Sinouk Coffee Plantation and try some of the fresh coffee!
General Things To Do In Laos
- Treat your taste buds and indulge in a traditional Sin Dad – a Lao barbeque!
- Try Laos’s famous noodle soup – Khao Piak Sen.
- Relax and get a Lao massage.
- Experience the Pi Mai Festival where locals throw water over each other! This takes place in April so if you’re visiting during this time, expect to get wet!
- Get involved in the culture and take a traditional Lao cooking class.
Thanks for reading this ultimate Laos bucket list which includes all the best things to do in Laos. This list is by no means complete so if you think there is something I’ve missed off then please comment it below!
Laos is an incredible country to visit and has so many fun and interesting things to do.